Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/1/2012 5:46 PM, David Paste wrote:
Hello all,

I was in a tool shop t'other day (Axminster) and noticed a lovely
display of Festool tools, so naturally I went over to have a sneaky
grope and see what all the fuss is about. They are clearly a cut above
the kind of power tool I am used to using (just hobby& DIY) but...
the prices! THE PRICES! Why are they so expensive? They are
undoubtedly nice units, but they seem to be inordinately expensive -
500 quid for a cordless driver, 120 quid for an LED work lamp, etc
etc... The most expensive thing I saw was a router for 700-and-
something pounds.

So why are they so costly? And more importantly, are they worth the
money?

Thanks in advance,

David.

If you are a hobbyist, the price will look high unless you appreciate
quality and a tool that will last.

If you are a pro and or make a living with your tools you will find that
the price is reasonable.

Festool is one of a few manufacturers that has enough pride in what it
does to actually design and manufacture the product themselves.
Naturally they know what they are doing, know how to build a tool, and
that is going to cost more money than buying a "clone tool" made in China.

Where time is money, Festool delivers top quality results in less time.

Imagine cutting 200 "clean precision sized" mortises. Now imagine doing
them in less than an hour.

Imagine sanding with a belt sander. Now imagine sanding with a finish
sander that will sand as fast as a belt sander with no dust and little
noise by comparison.

Imagine building fine furniture and making your cuts with a circular
saw. Now imagine a circular saw the cuts as good as a cabinet table
saw, makes plunge cuts, puts a fine straight edge on a board faster than
a jointer, and contains 95% of the saw dust.

Imagine a shop vac. Now imagine a dust extractor that has a hepa
filter, so quiet that you cannot hear it running when working with a
connected power tool, and allows you to stack all of your power tools in
top.

Imagine a cordless drill. Now imagine one that does not rattle and
clatter when you have reached the desired torque setting but simply
stops turning and sounds a tone to indicate that you have reached the
desired torque setting and will not continue until you release and pull
the trigger again, one that has a right angle, eccentric, quick change
chuck for drivers, and will continue to run if you drop it in a bucket
of water.

I witness this every time I use these tools.