Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default OT US foriegn policy, Ron Paul and terrorism.

On Jan 31, 12:27*pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:40*pm, JimT wrote:

On 1/30/2012 1:30 PM, harry wrote:

On Jan 30, 6:40 pm, *wrote:
On 1/30/2012 5:36 AM, HeyBub wrote:

JimT wrote:
On 1/29/2012 5:14 PM, HeyBub wrote:
JimT wrote:
We can't let Iran have nuclear weapons because of our failed foreign
policy which goes all the way back to the foundation of Israel. Are
you saying Iran doesn't have the right to defend itself? Look at
their neighbors. Wouldn't you want one?
Let's look at Iran's neighbors:
* Iraq. A (sort of) functioning democracy,
* Turkey, another democracy,
* Turkmenistan,
* Afghanistan, and
* Pakistan.
The only member of the above list that has the capability of
threatening Iran is Pakistan. Pakistan has had nuclear weapons for
some time now and hasn't used them or threatened Iran in any way.
I wonder how many times the territory we call Iran has been invaded?
Just about every world conqueror since Alexander the Great has marched
through. Then if the neighbors don't make you nervious, what about the
situation in the middle east in general? What about the US installing
the Shah? What about the US arming Saddam? I'd say they have plenty to
be at concerned about.
Admittedly, it's a violent region. Iran was once the aggressor, ruling at
one time the largest empire in the world - until someone stuood up to them.
I'm reminded of ---
--- begin quote
And so my king died, and my brothers died, barely a year ago. Long I
pondered my king's cryptic talk of victory. Time has proven him wise, for
from free Greek to free Greek, the word was spread that bold Leonidas and
his three hundred, so far from home, laid down their lives. Not just for
Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds.
Now, here on this ragged patch of earth called Plataea, Xerxes's hordes face
obliteration!
Just there the barbarians huddle, sheer terror gripping tight their hearts
with icy fingers... knowing full well what merciless horrors they suffered
at the swords and spears of three hundred. Yet they stare now across the
plain at TEN THOUSAND Spartans commanding thirty thousand free Greeks!
HA-OOH!
The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Greek. This
day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a future
brighter than anything we can imagine.
Give thanks, men, to Leonidas and the brave 300!
TO VICTORY!
Great story. I wonder how much is based on fact? - Hide quoted text -

It's well documented.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
I have been to visit the site.

* Any recommendations on places to go in that area? We're probably going
to Florence next but it's not certain. Been talking about Germany too.- Hide quoted text -

It was a long time ago. *There wasn't that much to see at that time,
just a few monuments. So I can't give any up to date advice.

There's lots of stuff to visit in Greece. *Trouble is, there are so
many tourists it takes a lot of the ambience out of it. I expect it
will be even worse now.
You get herded round in a great mass of people, you can't even stop to
look at stuff.
Maybe it's better to go "off-season".

Some of the best stuff is in the British Museum.

The best advice I can give is to be really well read up and informed
about where you are going, esp. the history.. Get read upon your Homer
too.
If you don't know the history, a lot of the significance is lost on
you during these visits.

Mycenae is good too.

I get a great kick out of thinking "At this very spot stood Agamemnon
and maybe Helen (of Troy)"
Or "Did Menalaus plan the destruction of Troy right here?"

Get a good travel guide book I use "Lonely Planet", usefull, up to
date info.

Istambul is not far off and excellent too.

Thanks for the tips. I've been to the British Museum and I couldn't
agree with you more.