Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default recycling steel

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:48:46 -0800, Winston
wrote:
... Ted warns against
a metal anode but I don't understand why that is inadvisable.

I suspect because of the consequences of making contact with the work.
You'll probably blow a fuse or worse. I've worn through the pads a
couple of times and got some amazing sparks, but, so far, the fuse in
my little 4-amp battery charger hasn't blown.

I have tried copper, brass, aluminum, and steel. None worked, although
I have no idea why not. My best guess is that there is an electrolytic
action with these anodes that replaces or hides the one with the rust.

Bob