Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default recycling steel

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:48:46 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:46:03 -0800,
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_199...es/E-CLEAN.TXT

I love that stuff.

It works a treat, even if you use plain washing soda.

--Winston

Have you tried plain washing soda with the carbon wand? Or are you
referring to the tank-type treatment?

I see what you mean. I used scrap steel as my anode
with a plain washing soda electrolyte. Ted warns against
a metal anode but I don't understand why that is inadvisable.

I suspect because of the consequences of making contact with the work.
You'll probably blow a fuse or worse. I've worn through the pads a
couple of times and got some amazing sparks, but, so far, the fuse in
my little 4-amp battery charger hasn't blown.

I haven't run into any problem other than to protect the
cleaned surface Very Quickly as it does tend to oxidize
rapidly once clean.

BTW, my "wand" is a little exotic. It's a slice of Poco 3 EDM
electrode that I cut off with my hand miter saw.g

That is almost Rocket Surgery!

A carbon electrode for use in an arc torch is a lot cheaper,
although you may have some trouble finding one that doesn't
have the copper plating. I did, which is why I sliced into my
Stirling-engine piston supply.

I have a small box of 5/16 dia. carbon arc gouging electrodes.
The copper plating would probably dissolve in an acid bath.
They would probably work a treat in this application.

I haven't tried this, but you might even be able to sand the copper
off without much trouble.

--
Ed Huntress

--Winston