Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default recycling steel

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

In the US, there appears to be only one brand of over-the-counter
drain cleaner that is straight, powder NaOH (lye). It's Roebic Crystal
Drain Opener, and the main (or sole?) retail outlet is Lowe's.

However, there are soap-making-supply companies that sell lye over the
Internet, and it's much cheaper. The trouble is that small quantities
tend to eat up any savings with shipping costs.

I buy from Essential Depot:

http://www.essentialdepot.com/

They've given me very good service, although I haven't bought any
larger quantities of lye for about a year.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servle...l-Grade/Detail

32 smackers for 10 lbs NaOH in 5 - 2 lb bottles. Free Shipping!

Is that a good deal Ed?
My local Lowe's does not admit to selling any kind of lye
on their website but I have not called them yet.

http://www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/make-lye.html

Hmmm.

--Winston