Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Was Dial indicator--now jointer

On 1/29/2012 8:07 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/29/2012 6:40 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Leon, I stopped using surfaced wood as it was never flat, always
twisted. Where do you find this wonderful flat 2s wood?

We have at least four good hardwood places that let you pick and chose
here in Houston, so, if you can read a board, you can reasonably come
home with what you pay for.

The problem I find is when I phone order so many board/linear feet for
pick up, from the same places ... then I damn well better factor at
least 20% for waste.

I can assure you that if you call in an order to be pulled at Hardwood
Products it will be pulled as it comes off the stack. I imagine that is
how they get rid of the questionable stuff with knots and tapered ends.
As you pointed out you do need to pick your own stick to get exactly
what you want.

More and more for paying jobs I am turning to S4S. I am more
consistantly not have to over buy as I know going in exactly how much I
need to buy. Dealing with S2S you never know how much taper the boards
will have and there tends to be quite a bit of waste when you remove the
taper.