Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes:
In article ,
Jerry wrote:
Yes pet, a 15amp breaker has the same rating as 30amp breaker if
you say so... One is far more likely to have an appliance lead
that is rated at 15A, even for appliances that have internal 1amp
fuses, rather than such an appliance having a lead that one could
run a domestic -four ring, grill and oven- cooker off...

Thanks for confirming we can add flex ratings to the things you know
nothing about.

Conductors rated at only 1A are very thin - sufficiently so that they do
not have great mechanical strength. Therefore Jerry's statement that
mains leads (in US: line cords) are likely to have a higher rating than
absolutely necessary is valid. Especially if they're of the sort that
has a connector at both ends: if there's a chance that they might be
used for an appliance that draws more, then it is unwise to use
low-current wire/cable for them.

(I am not on either side in the argument between Jerry and others: I
live in UK, but still find ring mains odd.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

If you bate your breath do you catch a lung fish? (Glynn Greenwood 1996-8-23.)