Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Skewering

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

My wood lathe was bought new in 1947 and I bought with my Dad the
steel lathe that I have. So turning has been in my life and in my
hands for over 50 years.

One would have thought then, at some point, you would have learned the
common names for the tools you use

On 1/24/2012 11:31 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:00:41 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Sometimes one never knows for sure. It depends on the skill or knowledge
of the turner. If what is called a skew is a skew.

I have rounded face scrapers that are flat that look like those - just
the top isn't scooped out. Seems like the cutting edge is on the top
and not on the face (centered) section of the blade like a skew but on
the top like a scraper. Likely called a skew from the use not shape.

I think you're wriggling on the hook Martin; calling an ant an elephant
doesn't make it so :-).

Boys! Boys! Please pay attention!

My first attempt (after watching a couple of videos) was humiliating.
The damn thing wouldn't do anything I wanted. It just cut spirals.

If it doesn't learn to do what I want it may just end up as another
scraper or parting tool.

--
Gerald Ross

George Orwell was an optimist.