Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Skewering

My turning is self-taught, but self could never teach me how to use a
skew to do anything useful. Now, years after grinding all my skews
into scrapers, I would like to try again. I have ordered an oval skew
and need a DVD or book to show me how to make small finials with it.
Any good ones out there?
--
Gerald Ross

More hay, Trigger? No thanks, Roy, I'm
stuffed!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Gerald Ross wrote:

My turning is self-taught, but self could never teach me how to use a
skew to do anything useful. Now, years after grinding all my skews
into scrapers, I would like to try again. I have ordered an oval skew
and need a DVD or book to show me how to make small finials with it.
Any good ones out there?

Good Luck! and I truly mean it. I have never been able to control an
Oval.
I've taken classes and seminars on the Skew. I also have a few videos.
The teacher and videos I prefer are Alan Lacer. It was following his
teaching and rules that allowed me to get close to know how to use a
skew.

Here is his opinion on Oval skews
http://woodturninglearn.net/headstock/roundskew.htm
http://woodturninglearn.net/headstock/ovalskew.htm

Some info
http://woodturninglearn.net/handouts...w_chisels.html
http://woodturninglearn.net/

I have found I prefer the skew with a curved edge, as opposed to the
straight edge. I have an Alan Lacer 1-3/8 inch skew and a D-Way 3/4 inch
skew

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 22, 2:09*am, Gerald Ross wrote:
My turning is self-taught, but self could never teach me how to use a
skew to do anything useful. *Now, years after grinding all my skews
into scrapers, I would like to try again. *I have ordered an oval skew
and need a DVD or book to show me how to make small finials with it.
Any good ones out there?
--
Gerald Ross

More hay, Trigger? No thanks, Roy, I'm
stuffed!

Hello Gerald,

I agree with Ralph, I do not like the oval skew. I generally sharpen
my skew for an included angle on the edge of about 30 to 40 degrees. I
like to put the shaft of the skew a as close to 90 degrees from the
wood as possible, with the bevel rubbing lightly and the sharp edge
cutting. For beads, I again put the shaft of the skew to 90 degrees
from the wood surface with the short point down. I then place the
short point just to the right of center of the planned bead and rotate
the handle counter clockwise and the tool will cut a nice curve down
into the V slot on the side of the bead. Turn the chisel over and
repeat on the right side but with the rotation being clockwise.

That is a pretty short description of how to use the skew.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 05:09:02 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

My turning is self-taught, but self could never teach me how to use a
skew to do anything useful. Now, years after grinding all my skews
into scrapers, I would like to try again. I have ordered an oval skew
and need a DVD or book to show me how to make small finials with it.
Any good ones out there?

Lots of videos on Utube, try those first..
If that doesn't help, "Taming of the skew" is highly recommended..

I prefer the oval to the flat because you can roll it downhill..
I like the Penn State version of the "spindle master" a lot better,
though..
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCVERSA3.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Other than the nice bowl gouge I have, all of mine are oval.
They were called 'Fingernail gouge' and are very versatile in both
cutting (slicing ) and in scrapping. I have three sizes of flat
Skews. And two or three fingernail gouges. The long sweeping edge
allows a variance of cutting surface.

A skew and gouge are not the same tool nor function. Using
a fingernail as a skew is as strange for you as it for that work.

Martin

On 1/22/2012 9:44 AM, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In articleQdidnZm4c5PVfYbSnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@giganews. com,
Gerald wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Other than the nice bowl gouge I have, all of mine are oval.
They were called 'Fingernail gouge' and are very versatile in both
cutting (slicing ) and in scrapping. I have three sizes of flat
Skews. And two or three fingernail gouges. The long sweeping edge
allows a variance of cutting surface.

A skew and gouge are not the same tool nor function. Using
a fingernail as a skew is as strange for you as it for that work.

Martin

Eh, Martin the question was on Skew's not gouges. An oval Skew has an
oval body. A standard Skew has a rectangular body.

Gouges, finger-nail, traditional or continental never entered into
his question

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 1/23/2012 9:22 AM, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

Other than the nice bowl gouge I have, all of mine are oval.
They were called 'Fingernail gouge' and are very versatile in both
cutting (slicing ) and in scrapping. I have three sizes of flat
Skews. And two or three fingernail gouges. The long sweeping edge
allows a variance of cutting surface.

A skew and gouge are not the same tool nor function. Using
a fingernail as a skew is as strange for you as it for that work.

Martin

Sometimes one never knows for sure. It depends on the skill or knowledge
of the turner. If what is called a skew is a skew.

I have rounded face scrapers that are flat that look like those - just
the top isn't scooped out. Seems like the cutting edge is on the top
and not on the face (centered) section of the blade like a skew but on
the top like a scraper. Likely called a skew from the use not shape.

Gerald wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:00:41 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Sometimes one never knows for sure. It depends on the skill or knowledge
of the turner. If what is called a skew is a skew.

I have rounded face scrapers that are flat that look like those - just
the top isn't scooped out. Seems like the cutting edge is on the top
and not on the face (centered) section of the blade like a skew but on
the top like a scraper. Likely called a skew from the use not shape.

I think you're wriggling on the hook Martin; calling an ant an elephant
doesn't make it so :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My wood lathe was bought new in 1947 and I bought with my Dad the
steel lathe that I have. So turning has been in my life and in my
hands for over 50 years.

Martin

On 1/24/2012 11:31 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:00:41 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Sometimes one never knows for sure. It depends on the skill or knowledge
of the turner. If what is called a skew is a skew.

I have rounded face scrapers that are flat that look like those - just
the top isn't scooped out. Seems like the cutting edge is on the top
and not on the face (centered) section of the blade like a skew but on
the top like a scraper. Likely called a skew from the use not shape.

I think you're wriggling on the hook Martin; calling an ant an elephant
doesn't make it so :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

My wood lathe was bought new in 1947 and I bought with my Dad the
steel lathe that I have. So turning has been in my life and in my
hands for over 50 years.

One would have thought then, at some point, you would have learned the
common names for the tools you use

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

Boys! Boys! Please pay attention!

My first attempt (after watching a couple of videos) was humiliating.
The damn thing wouldn't do anything I wanted. It just cut spirals.

If it doesn't learn to do what I want it may just end up as another
scraper or parting tool.

--
Gerald Ross

George Orwell was an optimist.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Gerald Ross wrote:

Boys! Boys! Please pay attention!

My first attempt (after watching a couple of videos) was humiliating.
The damn thing wouldn't do anything I wanted. It just cut spirals.

Yup, they are very good at that, and I still get that cut WAY too often

If it doesn't learn to do what I want it may just end up as another
scraper or parting tool.

The only real solution is practice

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It is always very suspensful for me when I use any skew. I like my oval, I
also ground down the corner edges of my regular skew so the sharp corners
don't damage the tool rest.