Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Jerry wrote:
: In a perfect world even "wire nuts" would be OK... But once
again
: Plowman misses the point, one can't -without tampering with
the
: panel and breakers- over load a radial circuit or appliance
lead,
: the same is not true of spurs or appliance lead off a ring
: circuits.
:
: Wire nuts were banned in the UK for very good reasons. Perhaps
you'd
: explain why that ban was/is wrong?

Did I say that, no. My point was and is that the world isn't
perfect, hence wire nuts are banned, hence why other mechanical
joints have to remain accessible, and why I consider ring
circuits a bodge at best.

:
: And you can very easily overload 'an appliance lead' on a
radial circuit,
: unless it is rated at the same as the radial protection. Which
it almost
: never will be.

Yes pet, a 15amp breaker has the same rating as 30amp breaker if
you say so... One is far more likely to have an appliance lead
that is rated at 15A, even for appliances that have internal 1amp
fuses, rather than such an appliance having a lead that one could
run a domestic -four ring, grill and oven- cooker off...

That is one great benefit of the UK final ring circuit -
: appliance leads are fused at the plug, and must be capable of
blowing that
: 13 amp fuse under fault conditions. Of course idiots who play
with
: electricity without understanding the basics can cause havoc.
You've
: proved that one.

The great advantage of radial circuits is that idiots find it a
little more difficult to bridge out the breaker in the panel,
unlike the silly fuse fitted in BS1363 plugs (which for some
silly reason is the same shape and diameter as many screws, bolts
and any other round bar) - again Plowman shows that whilst he can
read the regs and learnt by rope do doubt, rather than actually
understating the RISKS and therefore the whys and wherefores of
the regs. If regulations were not infallible we would never have
had wire nuts, but at one time they were allowed in the regs...

Indeed I have come across such "havoc", hence why I'm so critical
of ring circuits, they encourage such bodges. At worse a *radial
circuit*, protected at the panel by a 15A breaker is no worse
than someone like a table lamp (rated at 3amps) being fitted with
a new BS1363 plug and the default 13amp fused. At worse a /ring
circuit/ is like that same table lamp being hard wired into the
30A cooker connection...

:
: : It's quite simple, Jerry. Those who don't understand how
things
: work
: : should leave well alone. And pay someone who does to do any
: work needed.
:
: Indeed, *you* should stick to twiddling your knob(s) Mr
Plowman
: and pay someone to do any electrical work!
:
: But I understand the basics. And am capable of following the
regs. They
: can be bought in nice large print with coloured pictures for
those who
: have difficulty reading.
:

I'm glade they were a help to you pet, it's just a pity that you
chose to only follow them, rather than fully understand the
rational behind them! :~(
--
Regards, Jerry.