Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JUST ONCE.....

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:23:20 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 20:01:58 -0500, "
It couldn't be any sort of electronic proximity sensing, or really any active
technology, or it would infringe on SawStop's patent. That patent is pretty
damned air-tight.

Maybe not, but the drive to save money is pretty universal. I imagine
most saw builders are working on the safety issue as we speak. I agree
it's difficult to find a competing technology or we'd have seen it by
now. Doesn't matter, I believe it's just a matter of time.

If it involves electronics sensing human flesh or retracting the blade when
flesh is sensed, no technology will get around the SS patent. It really is
that air-tight.

I can imagine some type of beam of light that recognizes tissue and
disengages the saw when that beam is broken. Something will appear, I
have no doubt.

Nope. Not good enough. The patent covers any active system.