Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding compound miter saws.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 08:00:27 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/27/2012 8:40 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

On 1/27/2012 9:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:27:56 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/26/2012 4:10 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:13:53 -0600, wrote:

On 1/25/2012 8:45 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

FYI, I believe the Festool can ride a Makita track and both use the
same connector. Look at the ends of the compared tracks in this
article.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/to...lunge-cut_saws

Just something to consider if you plan to use the saw and both tracks
very much. And something else to consider, you will use this saw much
more than you might think so ease of storage and transport of the tracks
to a different location is going to become important.

I hear that. I'd build a lightweight carrier for them. I've already
lost one half of the 8' guide I had for cutting ply to the back of my
truck tool storage area.sigh Luckily, I got 30+ years out of it.
That's $2.50/yr.

I think the easiest carrier might be a 6" piece of pvc sewer pipe.
Cap one end and put a cleanout on the other. Put a handle in the middle
to handle the beast. That will keep the track from getting banged about.

I'd use tubatwos, dado down the middle for a separator, and mahogany
door skin for the covers and center divider.

Not sure about the Makita track but the Festool track is just under 7.5"
wide.

Did you see the end shot of the 3 in the PW article?

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often