Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Was Dial indicator--now jointer

On 1/27/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:
On 1/27/2012 10:34 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/26/2012 5:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

I should have wrote I know ripping and crosscut *blades* are different.
And I know they have combination blades. Roland Johnson of FWW said, at
the WoodworkingShows, that one should never use those. : )

If that is what Roland Johnson said he is ignorant.

To be fair, what he said is that "one should only rip with ripping
blades, only crosscut with cross-cutting blades, and *avoid* the
combination blades--it doesn't take that long to change blades."

Yeah if you are relatively inexpensive blades and yo have time to kill
changing blades. I would have to change blades 8~10 time daily. THAT
is why I switched to a top quality combo/general purpose blade. It is
highly unlike you would notice an appreciable difference.

I did order the dial indicator magnetic base system for setup and
testing, like he recommended. Grizzly got the sale.

That's good, helps to rule out possible problems and set thing up.

I used S0 tooth Systematic ATBR Combination blade for years with good
results. I have been using a general purpose 40 tooth Forrest WWII for
12 years with GREAT results. Both blades for Both ripping, cross
cutting, and compound miters.

My concern is academic, since I'm going to get my planes in shape, but
I'm still interested in learning what I can about blades.

You will not be disappointed in a General purpose Forrest WWII 40 tooth
blade.

Thank you, that is my impression from what I've read around here, by you
and others, and I'm sure I'll get one.

I'm looking forward to rasping out a strop this weekend. I looked at a
table that indicated Maple wasn't as much harder than White Oak or Red
Oak as I thought it was, so I'll pick up a 1by2 of oak tonight. I'm
embracing the challenge of try to rasp out one that shows craftsmanship.
It should be good practice. Fortunately, the 1x2 is sold in a 6'
length--so I can make several, if necessary, to achieve this! ; )

Enjoy!