Gordon Henderson

Default Range cooker recommendations?

In article ,
Baxter Basics wrote:
Hi,

cheers for that. Ideally I would mix and match- not that fussed about the
range cooker look- its just the only sensible place for a cooker we have is
in the chiney (where the original range would have been) so I am looking for
the best compromise which fits in a 90cm hole!

Be careful about the hole size! We replaced an aging coal fired Rayburn
with a gas fired Stanley last year and had some problems. We fully blame
the place we bought it from for not giving us good advice and leaving
it too late to get the survey done, and that might have been down to our
own naiveity, but in any case, we were told the Stanley was 920mm wide,
so we widened the chimney to a few mm over 920mm, then were told it
needed an inch either side by a the local Stanley fitter who really
didn't want the work.

In the end we got in-touch with Stanley direct and a local plumber/gas
fitter who was much more willing to take our money than the suppliers
recommended man, widened it a little by removing the plaster and some
underlying render and a compromise was struck. We got another Stanley
approved fitter to commission it so we got the extended warranty, etc.

Just a bit of faff, but make doubly sure the gap is wide enough!

Gordon