Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rigging, homemade crane, antenna tower.

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:24:21 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I put the antenna preamp inside the house at the cable entry, so I can
disconnect it for thunderstorms or if the power fails.

Most likely just preaching to the choir...

75 ohm coax, like RG59 has quite a bit of loss per foot. RG6 has
less but still doesn't perform as well as good 300 ohm twin line.
However 300 ohm twin line is a pain to run with all the stand-offs and
foibles coming in contact with other conductive surfaces.

The beauty to putting the amp right on the antenna is that you haven't
encountered any significant signal loss yet. Once you have loss signal,
say getting from the antenna down to your amp inside, you can't
recreate it. You will just amplify the noise already introduced.
Leon Fisk

That's what the instructions tell you to do for maximum signal to noise
ratio. I have enough signal on all but one channel and needed only a little
boost, so I made the installation safer and more convenient to maintain.
Those overhanging trees in the photo shed branches.

jsw