Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Was Dial indicator--now jointer

Father Haskell wrote:
On Jan 23, 7:08 pm, wrote:

I think I had some misconceptions about what a TS could do. I think I
was expecting it could produce a decent edge for gluing. And I guess it
can, but a jointer is evidently (much) better. Either I get a jointer
or I learn to sharpen and use my Stanley planes (I've collected
#4-5-6-7-8 and some 5 1/4's, and some for parts...lol). Anyone out
there making furniture with no power jointer?

Systimatic ATBR 50 tooth blade does fine. For more critical
luthiery work, I'll touch up the joints with a #5 or an LN block.
Haven't seen a jointer yet that can produce as smooth or
as flat a surface.

Thanks for starting me on a saw blade/tooth lesson. I never did figure
out what ATBR stands for, for I learned it should produce good on
crosscut-miter cuts. Does this apply to ripping too? I know ripping and
crosscut saws are completely different.