Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Rigging, homemade crane, antenna tower.

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:59:47 -0600
"RogerN" wrote:

snip
I may need to check, but I live outside city limits out in the country on
4-1/2 acres of land. There are tall poles all over my land from the power
company, they have a substation across the street and a main line running
across my property. I doubt if anyone would even notice if I put up a pole,
mast, or small tower. However I should check before I find out I should
have checked!

A small tripod with a 10ft mast lag-bolted to your roof would easily
get you up 20ft. If your house is two story even a bit more...

Another option is to jam a pipe in the ground 2-3 feet, underneath your
eave line with a longer piece going up above it and then use the eave as
its brace. I did that years ago for a CB 4-element yagi antenna. It was
up 30 ft using the eave to brace it with just galvanized well pipe. Use
to turn the whole pipe from the ground to direct it this way and that.

Put a nice, amplified antenna with rotor on top of the mast. This kind
of antenna has an amplifier board mounted right to it. Then you can run
75 ohm coax on down without suffering any great loss.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b