Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Nail Gun Incident

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:29:06 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/25/2012 2:42 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Don't understand what you are saying here Dave - can you run that by me
again? I'm confused by the "unrestricted hit" part of what you're saying.

I'm saying that nails from a nail gun are driven with a preconfigured
amount of force. That's evidenced by the fact that you can set the
depth that a nail is driven. In other words, all nail speeds are
muzzled and controlled to a certain extent.

If all of this is so, then it seems obvious to me that the nails
aren't driven with as much force as the gun could ultimately muster.
Compare that to a bullet. The explosion propelling a bullet isn't
muzzled in any way. That control is solely at the discretion of the
amount of powder and the explosion it makes.

I could be wrong here but this is something to think about. I have a
Bostitch framing nailer. The depth is set at the guard area and unless
I am mistaken the nail is driven with the same force however the
adjustment limits how close the nailer is to the work, the force remains
the same. I know that some nailers use different air pressures to limit
nail depth.

The difference for the nail gun is that when you shoot it into wood,
the piston continues to exert force on the nail the entire time it is
being driven to depth. With the gun shooting into air, the nail picks
up a faster velocity over less time. Total power is different due to
time-on-target difference (to confuse the issues with an artillery
term A nail won't sink full depth into a person's head when shot at
room's distance, I don't believe, but certainly will if held to the
persons head, safety-wise.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.