Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Was Dial indicator--now jointer

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:23:13 -0500, wrote:

In case anyone else is interested in building his or her own strop, I
ordered an 8-9 oz (leather is not perfectly uniform thickness, hence the
range), 8/64"-9/64" thick, 1 1/2" wide, 50" long, "Tandy" brand,
vegetable-tanned strap, for about $17.50 including S&H. Product is
available in alot of widths and from Amazon and E-bay.

That should work great. I zeenk you already bought zome of zee LVT
green compound, oui? Merveilleux!

It is merely my guess and hope that this item will be suitable for a
strop. The basis for my guess is that unembossed belts are considered
usable, and this is a "belt-blank". It's a carvable one at that, so I
anticipate that it will have the suitable firmness/pliability.

It will between the waxing gibbous and waning crescent phases of the
moon, but -only- if you hold your mouth right.

Now I need to find a quarter-sawn piece of Maple from the tree whose
branches hung over the crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to
the devil... Roadtrip!

Wikipedia has some useful information about leather. Cheers!

It's a definite resource, isn't it?

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.