Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1674 Ignoramus1674 is offline

Default Rigging, homemade crane, antenna tower.

On 2012-01-25, RogerN wrote:
"Jack Myers" wrote in message ...

Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/23/2012 8:35 PM, RogerN wrote:
... we ... built a digital TV antenna ....
... it work pretty
good, but the favorite channels are weak, fading/freezing...

You are trying too hard to get the antenna up higher. What leads you to
believe the reception will be better with the antenna up there? Digital
and analog use the same UHF frequencies so why a "digital" antenna?

This is a good question, and you can check the calculations in advance

at "tvfool.com" Simply plug in your address and try out various antenna
heights to see if you can expect any improvement in your reception.

I have looked there before and knew I could get more stations & channels
with a better antenna setup, but I never compared at various heights. I
tried the tvfool.com signal calculations and found out I should be able to
get nearly as many stations with a 20 foot height as I could with 40 foot
height. Maybe if I can get an antenna around 20 feet up with a mast or
tower and a rotor I should be able to get 13 digital stations versus 14 for
a 40' height.

I can get the channels tvfool.com says I should at my current antenna
elevation (4 digital stations) but since my house has aluminum siding the
signal is mostly through the window.

RogerN

Roger, sorry for a dumb question, but is it possible that you have a
local ordinance limiting the height of your antenna? You do not want
to find out after you erected the pole.