Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Barry Barry is offline

Default Female T-dolly?

I tried a couple of methods of putting a 1/4" curl along a 9" edge of
24 gauge sheet metal but I didn't like the results. My ball pein
hammer/steel rod method took too long and created dents, and my steel
rod-on-hand-break method took too long and didn't work so well. I
thought of cutting a tube in half and putting it in a wooden v-block
kind of thing for support and hammering a rod against the sheet metal
to shove it into the half-tube, but making a good, complete curl like
that didn't seem like a sure thing, so I started leaning toward making
a square bend instead of a round curl. But now I'm thinking that a T-
dolly and matching anvil might be worth a shot. Would I need a custom
die for this or do they make such an anvil/U-block/female T-dolly type
thing?