Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rigging, homemade crane, antenna tower.

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
About a year ago we (the family) built a digital TV antenna from
instructions on the internet. We put it in the window and it work pretty
good, but the favorite channels are weak, fading/freezing... So with the
money I save getting free TV reception I would like to put up an antenna
tower.

Problem is I don't want to climb a tower or anything like that, at least
not to the part on top trying to wrestle an antenna on a mast. So, with
some inspiration from the army rigging publications on Iggy's website, I
thought perhaps I can make a hinged base for the tower and then stand it
up with rigging techniques. ...
RogerN

My HDTV antenna evolved from hinging down to telescoping. When lowered the
rotator is at the ground and the antenna is within reach on the roof. The
antenna raises to 50 feet.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...51829689947138

The rotator is hinged to the triangular base that slides up and down in
simple guide rails. It no longer needs the hinge but I think the rotator
should be free to wobble and self-align if the mast isn't straight. A block
and tackle raises it.

The guy lines are visible only as the three faint light diagonals crossing
under the handrail below the round twinlead standoffs. They pass over
pulleys at the top and down the mast to tieoffs at the base, where I can
adjust and tighten them all at once. Each has a small weight attached under
the standoff that keeps the diagonal run from sagging and catching on
shingles when I lower the antenna.

jsw