Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Skewering

On 1/23/2012 9:22 AM, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

Other than the nice bowl gouge I have, all of mine are oval.
They were called 'Fingernail gouge' and are very versatile in both
cutting (slicing ) and in scrapping. I have three sizes of flat
Skews. And two or three fingernail gouges. The long sweeping edge
allows a variance of cutting surface.

A skew and gouge are not the same tool nor function. Using
a fingernail as a skew is as strange for you as it for that work.

Martin

Sometimes one never knows for sure. It depends on the skill or knowledge
of the turner. If what is called a skew is a skew.

I have rounded face scrapers that are flat that look like those - just
the top isn't scooped out. Seems like the cutting edge is on the top
and not on the face (centered) section of the blade like a skew but on
the top like a scraper. Likely called a skew from the use not shape.

Martin

Eh, Martin the question was on Skew's not gouges. An oval Skew has an
oval body. A standard Skew has a rectangular body.

Gouges, finger-nail, traditional or continental never entered into
his question

On 1/22/2012 9:44 AM, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In articleQdidnZm4c5PVfYbSnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@giganews. com,
Gerald wrote:

My turning is self-taught, but self could never teach me how to use a
skew to do anything useful. Now, years after grinding all my skews
into scrapers, I would like to try again. I have ordered an oval skew
and need a DVD or book to show me how to make small finials with it.
Any good ones out there?

Good Luck! and I truly mean it. I have never been able to control an
Oval.
I've taken classes and seminars on the Skew. I also have a few videos.
The teacher and videos I prefer are Alan Lacer. It was following his
teaching and rules that allowed me to get close to know how to use a
skew.

Here is his opinion on Oval skews
http://woodturninglearn.net/headstock/roundskew.htm
http://woodturninglearn.net/headstock/ovalskew.htm

Some info
http://woodturninglearn.net/handouts...w_chisels.html
http://woodturninglearn.net/

I have found I prefer the skew with a curved edge, as opposed to the
straight edge. I have an Alan Lacer 1-3/8 inch skew and a D-Way 3/4 inch
skew