Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mark mark is offline

Default Rigging, homemade crane, antenna tower.

Problem is I don't want to climb a tower or anything like that, at least not
to the part on top trying to wrestle an antenna on a mast. *So, with some
inspiration from the army rigging publications on Iggy's website, I thought
perhaps I can make a hinged base for the tower and then stand it up with
rigging techniques. *Maybe if I use 4 guy wires instead of 3, 2 could be in
line with the hinge axis, the rear one would be set the calculated length to
tighten up when the tower is somewhat vertical, and the 4th guy wire would
be left long to pull the tower up. *Perhaps something to level the load and
pull the tower up straight, trying to prevent bending loads.

Google for "falling gin pole"