Creamy Goodness

Default 8 FOOT vs. 4 FOOT

Creamy Goodness wrote:
WARRENRN1 wrote:
i have a couple 8 foot florescent lights over my shop area which make
a hum loud enough to make you wear ear plugs.... these were BORG
shop lights. the shop is the lowest level of the house, so it is
usually cooler than the rest of the house, like about 55-60 degrees.

the noise is a real distraction so i am thinking about putting up a
bank of 4 footers in exchange for the 2 8 footers......... i can
also spread them out a little bit more to get better lighting in
different part of the shop...

what should i be looking for in terms of shop lights..... i staying
with florescents and not going to halogens... even tho they would be
nice in the winter time....

any help would be most appreciated...

I recently put up 3 banks of 4 - 4' florescents across the garage
ceiling. I put in a dedicated circut for these and got them and the
bulbs at the local borg. Newer bulbs for em, supposed to run cleaner
and brighter. All I know is my neighbors call my garage "the clean
room" now and we have no more disputes when playing a game of darts
in the garage, sipping one of Scotlands finest single malts and
smoking fine cigars. (That's what a shop is for after hours right?)
I think the whole set up cost me around $80, not including the circut
wiring. Bright as hell, takes about 5-10 minutes to totally warm up
to full light on cold Colorado days.

I'll look tonight to see exactly what kind of "new" bulbs these take.

Oh, and haven't heard a hum yet. Cept from my TS.