Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default JUST ONCE.....

On 1/23/2012 4:02 PM, Jack wrote:
On 1/22/2012 11:34 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/22/2012 9:33 PM, Jack wrote:
On 1/22/2012 7:53 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/22/2012 12:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

It's an election year. There must be a better target for your rants
:-).

You're right, i probably did lash out in the wrong place. It just irks
me to see so many seemingly smart people condoning government control
and regulation. I'm sorry if i personally offended any persons in this
group. I do get a lot out of reading the messages here.

On a woodworking group it's hard to imagine a political election being a
better target than forced saw stop ownership.

I think in addition to forced ownership of saw stop crap, the hand
wringers should be forced to buy/use power feeders. Much cheaper than
buying a new hand, right?

Of course if you fall into the power feeder... Well, maybe a law to
force these guys to plunk the plank into the feeder with the power off,
go in another room with the power switch, like a dentist doing xrays....

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Jack
Got Change: Supply and Demand ====== Command and Control!

The fallacy of your analogy here is that if it is mandated by the
government or actually willingly accepted by all manufacturers NO ONE is
going to be forced to buy a saw with this technology.

You can't seriously think anyone is saying every man woman and child,
living in the US, would be forced to buy a table saw are you?

I don't think every one is thinking that but there are those that
probably do. In this day and age you never know what people are thinking.

The choice to buy a saw with this technology or not will still be
strictly up to you.
I can assure you my wife will not be buying one. The simple truth is
that that if you can not buy a saw with the safety device added you can
elect to not buy a saw at all.

Ahhh, you are saying this... Very dumb of you.

No I am not saying this but it has been said repeatedly. I am simply
pointing out that you do not have to purchase a TS at all.

Even more aggravating to me is that right now you cannot buy a saw with
out the common blade guard, a device that is way less effective that the
saw stop technology and yet we buy these saws any way but only because
we want to. No one is forcing us to buy these saws with the less than
desirable guards, which are mandated by some authority.

Thank god for that. I don't think I'd have room if me, the wife, and two
kids were each forced to buy a table saw with (or without) saw stop
technology. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Now that you cleared that up, do you think running a table
saw/shaper/3hp router in a table with $300 lift would be safer with a
power feeder? Should a power feeder be required with purchase of each of
these machines? (Not by every person in the US, just those purchasing
one of the tools that would be safer with a power feeder?

It might be safer but I don't think it should be mandatory as with the
SawStop.

Should I be allowed to buy a (new) table saw w/o saw stop tech IF I
bought a power feeder, and vice versa, or should I be required to buy
both (if I were to buy a new saw, not implying everyone on earth should
be required to buy any of the above tools...)

I am thinking anyone that buys a (new) Chevy Volt might also be required
to buy a (new) table saw with a power feeder AND Saw Stop tech... Not
sure why, but works for me.

Now having said that all the moaning, groaning and voicing an opinion
of why we think Gass is a SOB apparently is not working.

What those that are clearly alarmed about the situation should do is
voice that if this deal goes through that every one that has a TS now
and "wants" to trade up gets full credit for the saw they already have
as trade in. If you have a 15 year old cabinet saw and you want a new
one but the manufacturer has to pay you what you paid for that saw 15
years ago as trade in.

The manufacturers can't have their cake and eat it too.

But seriously if the mandate goes through supply and demand will dictate
pricing. We'll see then how many are in favor and how many are not.