Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default JUST ONCE.....

On 1/23/2012 1:18 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:06:13 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Just Wondering wrote:
On 1/23/2012 5:48 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

...not that they aren't trying, mind you.

Really - and just how would they even attempt to accomplish such a
feat? Gast is an ass but he is not stupid.

Have you been living in a cave? The SawStop folks have persuaded the
Consumer Product Safety Commission to propose a federal regulation
mandating SawStop (or equivalent) on table saws.

It's right there in the Federal Register. You really should keep up.

I have - have you? There is nothing in that proposal that forces
you or I to go out and buy a SawStop and melt down our existing
table saws.
The problem is, if the regulation was put into effect, every TS
manufacturer would have to buy technology from the SawStop company. A
TS that retails for $600 today would cost $1200 tomorrow. Sure, you
could disable the SS, but if you wanted to buy a TS at all, you'd have
to pay twice as much for the saw as as you would in a free market.

There is nothing new in that understanding - if... the proposal goes through
as currently written. There's a lot of room for speculation there. That
said - what you post above, though fair in the realm of speculation, does
nothing to support the claim that everyone will be forced to buy a SawStop.

Let's just simplify it a bit. Anyone buying a NEW legal table saw IN
THE US would be forced to buy a SawStop.
There's always someone willing to sell non-compliant equipment off the
back of a truck, or to represent it as "used", or to bring
non-compliant equipment in from, say, Mexico. Or China.

No you could buy any brand you wanted, it would not have to be SawStop.