Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default JUST ONCE.....

On 1/23/2012 11:54 AM, Bill wrote:
On 1/23/2012 11:41 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
On 1/23/2012 10:49 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 06:20:51 -0600,
Have you been living in a cave? The SawStop folks have persuaded the
Consumer Product Safety Commission to propose a federal regulation
mandating SawStop (or equivalent) on table saws.

What if anything, does that proposed federal regulation say about
previously owned table saws? Are they grandfathered in as being
acceptable? Do we all need to buy our preferred choice of table saw
before that proposed regulation comes into effect?

I know riving knifes are now required to be **UL Compliant**.
I do not know the significance of this compliancy (perhaps someone can
address this), but it's not hard for me to imagine what the next
requirement of UL Coompliancy could be for table saws.

Are you saying that Sears, and others who sell $100 TSs, are only
permitted to sell table saws with riving knifes? (I don't know the
answer to this, as I mentioned above).

Just checked, the TS Sears is selling for $134.99 has riving knifes, and
many other features too--too numerous to mention! ; )

UL compliance only pertains to newly purchased items. It has nothing
to do
with existing products. As for new compliancy requirments - that's for
new
stuff. When was the last time the UL Police showed up at your house to
inspect and demand an update to your 20 year old toaster or steam iron?