Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default new anti roll bar bushes fitted - now "tyre" noise?

On Jan 23, 3:13 pm, fred wrote:
In article , MuddyMike
writes

"Jim K" wrote in message
recently asked re anti roll bar drop links "knocking" and was
pleasantly surprised to find it wasthe ARB bushes that were sh@gged.
Duly replaced with heavy duty items a day ago.

However now I'm getting a "knobbly tyre on road" type noise *in* the
car at 30mph or above - speed related, but not engine related....

Can changing ARB bushes affect tracking for e.g.? or is the firmer
material of the HD bushes likely to be transferring more road vibes
into the "chassis" ? or something else??

I assume ARB means Anti Roll Bar. If so then no, the ARB does nothing to
control tracking or any other part of the suspension geometry. With most
vehicle you can throw them away and the only difference will be increased
body roll.

Very common for the anti-roll bar to control the front to back position
of the wheels in a simple MacPherson strut system and so the toeing.

in this case the double jointed ARB links at each end allow all sorts
of movements, when just one ARB bushing was removed the whole lot (ARB
links intact & untouched) was easily moved fore and aft and even
sideways - the sh@gged other side's bush not offering much resistance
I expect)

I can't currently see how in this case they could be relied on to
control the position of anything ;))

Any lazy visual means to gauge front wheel alignment? light spray of
white primer across treads & see how it's worn after a couple of
miles??

Jim K