Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default JUST ONCE.....

On 1/22/2012 10:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/22/2012 8:26 PM, Morgans wrote:
Much better, in my opinion, to train them to be extremely careful and
to use the already mandated and supplied safety devices. - and to
SUPPLY the devices. (like push sticks, finger boards, splitters and
guards)

Good points.

If I was a high school shop teacher (and I am) and I had a saw stop,
I would tell the guys that they did not work as good as it shows on
you-tube and even worse, that they sometimes did not work at all.
That way, they could not depend on the saw stopping to keep them
safe, and they would have to work on developing safe work habits.

-- Jim in NC

And as all kids do they would look to prove you wrong and think you
were a liar or incompetent since you could not prove that they did
not work.
Tell the truth, teach them the correct way to use a TS because they
may not always have the luxury of working on a TS with this
technology.

I think that's what Jim is trying to do Leon. I think he's trying to
discourage the kids from blind trust in anything - technology, "safety
devices", etc. and to develop practical safe habits.

Yes but adding a non truth go bolster the idea.

He said,
I would tell the guys that they did not work as good as it shows on
you-tube and even worse, that they sometimes did not work at all.

If he could not prove that, and right now he cannot, the kids are going
to not trust what he tell them. Kids are going to verify.