Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How can I tell whether speaker wire is 14 gauge?

"gregz" wrote in message

stuff snipped

To get an accurate ohm measurement, assuming you know how to measure low
ohms, I would tightly connect one end together, preferably soldering.
Measure the two hundred foot wire, preferably soldering the tips of the
wire. 2.525 / 5 would be two hundred feet.

I have also roughly measured using calibrated wire strippers. The wire
should not easily slip through the 14 gauge hole. You can also compare it
to some other 14 gauge wire.

Measuring resistance would probably not be as convincing to an Amazon
Customer support executive as measuring the weight of one inch worth of the
copper in the wire in question and comparing it to "known accurate" sources
(both samples stripped of insulation). A cross section photo (that shows
the cable is more jacket than copper wire) and a feathered out photo of the
real v. the fake also show how much smaller the "fake" 14GA wire is.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.