Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How can I tell whether speaker wire is 14 gauge?

"Evan" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 6:15 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Cut a foot of 14 ga Romex. And a foot of this wire. weigh each on a postal
scale, see how close the weights are.

`That is a totally bogus method... The Romex wire thermoplastic insulation
is MUCH heavier than the
insulation used on speaker cable... Your testing method would require
stripping the wires to actually
compare how much metal is in the wire...

Stormie's got a good point if I strip the insulation from both samples.
I've got a very accurate electronic scale that will show the difference in
copper content.

I've taken some photos that I think make it pretty clear this isn't 14GA
wire. I've cut it at 90 degrees and compared it to 12, 14, 16 and 18GA
speaker wire I have. You can see how much less copper and more jacket than
there is with *real* 14GA wire. I also feathered out the end of a stripped
piece of both the real and the fake 14GA and it's incredibly obvious that
it's substantially smaller than real 14GA (although the jacket sizes are
identical!).

The vendor is quite unapologetic, saying "I'll give you $5 off if you're
unhappy with the wire." I am unhappy about being defrauded. I'm going to
see what Amazon does, since this guy's ripping people off using their name
and claiming the manufacturer "forces" him to list it falsely. What really
peeves me is someone could blow out an amp trying to use this wire where
*real* 14GA is required. I wonder how many packages of this crap wire this
cheat sold? He sounds like he's gotten away with it for a long, long time
and seems totally unconcerned that Amazon would do anything about it.

--
Bobby G.