Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Skewering

In article ,
Gerald Ross wrote:

My turning is self-taught, but self could never teach me how to use a
skew to do anything useful. Now, years after grinding all my skews
into scrapers, I would like to try again. I have ordered an oval skew
and need a DVD or book to show me how to make small finials with it.
Any good ones out there?

Good Luck! and I truly mean it. I have never been able to control an
Oval.
I've taken classes and seminars on the Skew. I also have a few videos.
The teacher and videos I prefer are Alan Lacer. It was following his
teaching and rules that allowed me to get close to know how to use a
skew.

Here is his opinion on Oval skews
http://woodturninglearn.net/headstock/roundskew.htm
http://woodturninglearn.net/headstock/ovalskew.htm

Some info
http://woodturninglearn.net/handouts...w_chisels.html
http://woodturninglearn.net/

I have found I prefer the skew with a curved edge, as opposed to the
straight edge. I have an Alan Lacer 1-3/8 inch skew and a D-Way 3/4 inch
skew

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv