Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

[Snip]

I was wondering that myself:

Meter: device for measuring something e.g. volts
Met foreign unit of length

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too. We changed
to the French spelling later - perhaps to make it easier for us to join the
EEC? or was it when Concord became Concorde?

Ecksully, I never EVER make the mistake I just made! What is needed is
an intelligent spool choker which, when presented with words which have
alternative spellings, asks "Do you really want to spell it this way?"
Is there such a thing?

BTW, even though I was brought up with bushels and pecks, and rods,
poles, perches, chains and furlongs, I have no recollection of us ever
spelling the 39.37" metre as 'meter'.
--
Ian