Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 6:51*pm, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.

They don't get my sympathy.

McK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 20, 8:41*pm, McKevvy wrote:
On Jan 20, 6:51*pm, harry wrote:

Not for the faint hearted this one!http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.

They don't get my sympathy.

Nor mine either! It makes one more sympathetic towards Shariah Law.
The Mullahs would chop their bloody hands off. There'd only be need to
do it once!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Gotta sting.

WM
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Would not want to clear that up

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

That's quite impressively messy. Took a while to work out what I was
looking at when I could only see the first picture.

The horrid thing is, I can now picture what my dad encountered the time he
was driving a train on track where a child had been playing and was caught
by the third rail. He was off work quite a while after that. Kind of
wishing I hadn't thought of that just before bed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:51:46 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Stupid *******s. Nice to see the Nikes survived, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
harry writes:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

ogrish.com used to have lots of these pictures (most very much worse)
but the hostname was bought by someone else a few years ago who just
switched it to point at their own site, and as far as I know, it was
all lost.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:37:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article
, harry
writes:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

ogrish.com used to have lots of these pictures (most very much worse)

Worse than dead eh! Reminds me of Blackadders fate - as a fate worse
than a fate worse than death.
Ought to be a compulsory fate for all these scumbags who are thieving
railside signalling kit etc etc. Still, while sheeple go on voting

ConDemLab nothing will improve.

Fixed that for you.

Short of getting Vlad Tepes to sort teh place out, nothing will ever change.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2012 02:36, mike wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:37:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In ,
writes:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

ogrish.com used to have lots of these pictures (most very much worse)

Worse than dead eh! Reminds me of Blackadders fate - as a fate worse
than a fate worse than death.
Ought to be a compulsory fate for all these scumbags who are thieving
railside signalling kit etc etc. Still, while sheeple go on voting
ConDemLib nothing will improve.

That works in nicely with the previous post, would there bw a fuss now
if that series started? Also can you no longer ask for black or white
coffee but straight (whoops even that can be miss-construed) or with cream?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 09:53:20 -0000, Moonraker wrote:

That works in nicely with the previous post, would there bw a fuss now
if that series started? Also can you no longer ask for black or white
coffee but straight (whoops even that can be miss-construed) or with
cream?

Still get an Americano without offending our cross-pond dwellers?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was told a similar tale by an EDF engineer.

The 'thieving ********ie scum' remove the security fences around
substations and back a Transit into the enclosure of the transformer.
They then lob a bike chain over the three phases aiming to blow the
supply fuses. Their next step is to cut and remove the earth cable.
Unfortunately - and I don't understand this bit - there can be a high
current present in the earth cable even after the fuses have blown.
He has attended to one of these 'outages' and found boltcutters with
attached fingers next to the cut, but not removed, earth cable.
Naturally no tears are shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJS wrote:
Was told a similar tale by an EDF engineer.

The 'thieving ********ie scum' remove the security fences around
substations and back a Transit into the enclosure of the transformer.
They then lob a bike chain over the three phases aiming to blow the
supply fuses. Their next step is to cut and remove the earth cable.
Unfortunately - and I don't understand this bit - there can be a high
current present in the earth cable even after the fuses have blown.

You would be surprised at how much capacitance a few miles of cable can
have..

He has attended to one of these 'outages' and found boltcutters with
attached fingers next to the cut, but not removed, earth cable.
Naturally no tears are shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:37:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
harry writes:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

ogrish.com used to have lots of these pictures (most very much worse)
but the hostname was bought by someone else a few years ago who just
switched it to point at their own site, and as far as I know, it was
all lost.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://ogrish.com
That any use?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2012 23:04, Nigel Oldfield wrote:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Gotta sting.

Bet it came as a shock.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 20/01/2012 23:04, Nigel Oldfield wrote:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Gotta sting.

Bet it came as a shock.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

An electrifying experience?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Steve O
writes
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

Even the inhabitants of Ambridge have had problems with cable thieves.
This very week, most of the village lost its broadband and telephone
connections after "200 meters" of cable was purloined. As a result, for
several days, many were temporarily reduced to a Stone Age way of
living. However, I believe that normal service had been restored by
Friday.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:49:46 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Steve O
writes
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

Even the inhabitants of Ambridge have had problems with cable thieves.
This very week, most of the village lost its broadband and telephone
connections after "200 meters" of cable was purloined. As a result, for
several days, many were temporarily reduced to a Stone Age way of
living. However, I believe that normal service had been restored by
Friday.

See the "Ambridge" thread!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

It's not in uk.d-i-y and legal.uk, so presumably it's in
uk.rec.gardening.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Steve O writes:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head

Remains of their hats

and the fire spread,

Extent of the plasma arc path across the surface of the ground - a
self-sustaining fire is unlikely

it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.

They will have stood back and watched, until assured by the electric
company that the power was off, and attendance at site of electric
company personel to test it really is off.

I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

They never do, in case someone is offended.
You could say the same for car/motorbike crashes, etc.
It would probably help significantly if teenagers understood
how fragile their bodies are by actually seeing what happens
to bodies in a crash before they were allowed to control a
vehicle on the road, but that would be politically unacceptable,
so they are let loose at a time in their lives where they are
under a complete misapprehension of being indestructable.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 21/01/2012 21:49, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Steve O
writes
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the
emergency services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images
in a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

Even the inhabitants of Ambridge have had problems with cable thieves.
This very week, most of the village lost its broadband and telephone
connections after "200 meters" of cable was purloined. As a result, for
several days, many were temporarily reduced to a Stone Age way of
living. However, I believe that normal service had been restored by Friday.

\I have noticed a lot more power cuts than usual lately, and have been
wondering if it due to cable theft
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:22:24 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

Sorry! Got my groups mixed up. It's in uk.telecom....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
McKevvy writes:
On Jan 20, 6:51*pm, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.
They don't get my sympathy.

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them. Of course, I have no way of knowing if they would
have taken that chance even if it had been made available to them,
or if they would have continued to be a blight on society, or if
they've been a blight on society for some time before this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:58:17 -0000, Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article
,
McKevvy writes:
On Jan 20, 6:51 pm, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this
one!http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.
They don't get my sympathy.

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them. Of course, I have no way of knowing if they would
have taken that chance even if it had been made available to them,
or if they would have continued to be a blight on society, or if
they've been a blight on society for some time before this.

I am certainly not going to flat out disagree with your humane view. But I
do think that people who do things like this completely ignore the danger
they pose to the rest of us by their actions. The safety systems that
fail. The operations that are interrupted or deferred - and the
consequences of that.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:17:03 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
polygonum wrote:

I am certainly not going to flat out disagree with your humane view.
But I do think that people who do things like this completely ignore
the danger they pose to the rest of us by their actions.

I doubt if they ignore them. I doubt if such issues ever enter their
minds.

Probably right in many cases.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:58:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
McKevvy writes:
On Jan 20, 6:51*pm, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0
Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.
They don't get my sympathy.

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

But their "death sentence" is self-imposed, not dished out by a court.
Numerous warning signs tell them of the dangers surrounding
electricity poles/pylons, substations and railways.

I'm afraid that I don't subscribe to the view that once you've served
a sentence you're as clean as the man next door, which effectively
"commercialises" crime by giving it a specific "price" as punishment.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Even the inhabitants of Ambridge have had problems with cable thieves.
This very week, most of the village lost its broadband and telephone
connections after "200 meters" of cable was purloined. As a result, for
several days, many were temporarily reduced to a Stone Age way of
living. However, I believe that normal service had been restored by
Friday.

breathes sigh of relief
I was on my chair edge there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:49:46 -0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Steve O
writes
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

Even the inhabitants of Ambridge have had problems with cable thieves.
This very week, most of the village lost its broadband and telephone
connections after "200 meters" of cable was purloined. As a result, for
several days, many were temporarily reduced to a Stone Age way of
living. However, I believe that normal service had been restored by
Friday.

How did they broadcast the midweek episodes without power?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:45:35 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:58:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
McKevvy writes:
On Jan 20, 6:51*pm, harry wrote:
[...]

It's cheaper for us than keeping them in prison.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2012 00:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
polygonum wrote:

I am certainly not going to flat out disagree with your humane view.
But I do think that people who do things like this completely ignore
the danger they pose to the rest of us by their actions.

I doubt if they ignore them. I doubt if such issues ever enter their minds.

They probably weren't bright sparks.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 21/01/2012 22:26, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
Steve writes:
[...]

Every Xmas time around here the local police/fire brigade place terribly
smashed up cars on the roundabouts along with suitable 'don't drink &
drive' posters.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

En el artículo , Frank
Erskine escribió:

But their "death sentence" is self-imposed, not dished out by a court.
Numerous warning signs tell them of the dangers surrounding
electricity poles/pylons, substations and railways.

Agreed. Darwin in action.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Phi Phi is offline

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:49:46 -0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Steve O
writes
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

Even the inhabitants of Ambridge have had problems with cable thieves.
This very week, most of the village lost its broadband and telephone
connections after "200 meters" of cable was purloined. As a result, for
several days, many were temporarily reduced to a Stone Age way of
living. However, I believe that normal service had been restored by
Friday.

Were they Amp meters or Volt meters ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:58:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article
,

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0 Yup.
This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago. They don't get my
sympathy.

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

But their "death sentence" is self-imposed, not dished out by a court.
Numerous warning signs tell them of the dangers surrounding
electricity poles/pylons, substations and railways.

But were the signs in 20 different languages, judging by their colour,
they might not have been able to read the signs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
McKevvy writes:
On Jan 20, 6:51 pm, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this
one!http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.
They don't get my sympathy.

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions,

but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate.

So you have never met a Daily Mail reader then?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

[Snip]

I was wondering that myself:

Meter: device for measuring something e.g. volts
Met foreign unit of length

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too. We changed
to the French spelling later - perhaps to make it easier for us to join the
EEC? or was it when Concord became Concorde?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

[Snip]

I was wondering that myself:

Meter: device for measuring something e.g. volts
Met foreign unit of length

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too. We
changed
to the French spelling later - perhaps to make it easier for us to join
the
EEC? or was it when Concord became Concorde?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

WRONG

I went to school in the 40's and the 50's. The Meter was the thing which
measured the Gas or Electric used. (Some took the Penny or the Shilling) The
Metre was the unit of measure.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

[Snip]

I was wondering that myself:

Meter: device for measuring something e.g. volts
Met foreign unit of length

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too. We changed
to the French spelling later - perhaps to make it easier for us to join the
EEC? or was it when Concord became Concorde?

Ecksully, I never EVER make the mistake I just made! What is needed is
an intelligent spool choker which, when presented with words which have
alternative spellings, asks "Do you really want to spell it this way?"
Is there such a thing?

BTW, even though I was brought up with bushels and pecks, and rods,
poles, perches, chains and furlongs, I have no recollection of us ever
spelling the 39.37" metre as 'meter'.
--
Ian

Wood theft HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 19 October 3rd 11 07:43 PM
Copper theft DerbyBoy UK diy 30 June 13th 11 12:17 AM
ID Theft From 1998 bgreer5050 Home Ownership 2 August 14th 05 04:45 PM
ID Theft From 1998 bgreer5050 Home Ownership 0 August 14th 05 03:43 PM
Theft by any name is still theft. njf>badger Woodworking 19 March 9th 05 07:18 PM