John Flax

Default Toilet FAQ?

"Abso" wrote in message
Does anyone know the location of an online resource I can use to get my

head
around how the internals of a toilet flush should work?

It's just that mine is becoming reluctant to flush, despite the float

valve
aparently working fine (the cistern fills). One thing which might cause

it is
that the washer on the actuator attached to the handle is lifting (I think

it
should stay in place sealing the top of the lower chamber). Would this

cause
reluctant flushing?

**** description, I know, trouble is I know so little about what the bits

are
called that I'm struggling to describe it.

Try Google with: toilet cistern diaphragm

or look at:

http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.bailey2/toilet-t.html

and

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...nks%20etc..htm
scroll to the bottom of this one!

The Mid-Kent quotation of "Only £128.86 includes materials and vat"
www.midken****er.co.uk/services/ household/setprice/toilet.htm
should give you the courage to have a go.

When I had this problem (about 15 years ago) I made a temporary diaphragm
from a piece of stiffish polythene. I come across the replacement from time
to time.

I believe the size and shape of the diaphragm can vary.

Removing the water from the bottom of the cistern can be a pain. I used a
syphon tube intended for beer/wine making. Any water left in the bottom of
the cistern will wet her lovely new bathroom carpet, so be warned!