Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32441 Ignoramus32441 is offline

Default How to open a Mosler safe with combination?

On 2012-01-20, Steve W. wrote:

[ ... ]

It isn't that hard to change those IF you needed to (I would since the
original owner knows the current combination)
You need the correct change key and the correct directions. Or just pay
a smith to change it.

OK, how much would it cost? Very interesting.

Depends on the local market. Around here the usual charge runs about $75.00
If you have the key DIY isn't hard.

Diebold provides service for them.

Thanks. I will definitely consider it.

I am also thinking, what should I do with this safe, in the sense of
bolting it down. How is that properly done. It weighs only about 600
lbs and is in a place with pallet jacks and forklifts. Someone could
just forklift it out of there.

Just to be clear, I am not anticipating storing any high value stuff
in there, but I like to do things the right way, so I want to know how
are safes properly secured.

Now, regarding key: the safe has a key hole in the lock. I do not have
that key, and the safe seems to open and close without the need for
any key. So, what is the purpose of that key? For changing
combination? Is that what you were referring to?

That key keeps you from turning the handle to open it even if
you have the combination. It is really not as secure as the
combination, fairly easy to pick, but it was a belt and suspenders setup.
Perhaps person "N" had the key and person "P" had the combination, so
both had to be present -- unless the handle was kept unlocked, as was
fairly common, and is the status here. You need the key to lock it as
well as to unlock it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I will use this safe mostly for storing new carbide cutters, stuff
that is worth a pretty penny. Thanks for explaining the purpose of the
key. I think that I do not need it for what I do. I practiced
throughout the day today and I think that I am getting a grip on it.

Despite the flimsy outer shell, this is a very secure Class C
safe with a very strong inner shell.

``C-Rating Steel construction with doors at least one inch thick and
walls at least half an inch thick.''