Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default shaper tool holders

On 1/20/2012 11:49 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:55:18 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 12:41:38 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

snip
Nothing available from the Orient? Perhaps a chinese or jap vise may be
simply cheaper in the long run?

snip

I am also looking for a small shaper vise for my 7 inch
atlas. Only source of new supply I could find is Indian,
and these were not cheap.

http://www.csvworkholding.com/produc...p?productId=86

also see for information about rolling your own.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-41364.html
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=39781
http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/column...column_57.html

Check this guys store...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shaper-and-M...-/350340374977

These vices are the ones produced in India they dont look very sturdy
due to the base area , plus they have only two hold down holes for the
base to table mounting .
I would be concerned taking decent cuts on a 18" shaper using that vice.

Having once owned an Indian made 4" bench vice that broke at the throat
just behind the moving jaw , on inspection it had been filled with auto
bog to hide the sand cavities in the casting.

General rule for shaper vices is that the jaw width should be 50% of the
stroke length.

There is an Indian made vice that has a two hole mounting plate that
could be drilled at the corners to make a four hole mount.
http://www.machinetools-india.com/machine-vices.html
scroll down to the ninth listing , I
might just e-mail them and see what the cost of a 8 or 10" one is and
how much the shipping would be. They look a bit sturdier than the Shars
(discountmachine) offering .

BTW I missed out on that big mother of a twin screw shaper vice ,it went
for $100.00AUD.
Freight to here would have been 200.00AUD at guess.
--
Kevin (Bluey)