Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default shaper tool holders

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:39:36 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

On 1/19/2012 8:32 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:24:45 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

On 1/19/2012 5:00 AM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Jan 17, 6:01 am, wrote:
On 1/17/2012 9:54 PM, Jordan wrote:

On 1/17/2012 7:17 PM, Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

Zero rake lathe tool holders are not common here and very difficult to
find. I guess most of them got tossed out along with the shapers when
mills started to take over.

Would it not be OK to just grind the toolbit, taking into account the
built in angle of a typical lathe tool holder, so the end result is the
same as with a zero rake type?

As an aside, but slightly related (because it has zero rake): I was
having trouble making a slot, until I tried a lathe's parting tool
holder, which also had a gooseneck feature. It changed from making the
shaping job a nasty ripply finish, to cutting smoothly as silk.

Shaper tyro.

Not a problem to grind the tool , ,it's just me , I just like to have
the tools to suit the machine . Toolaholic .

I have read that the gooseneck tool holders are good for preventing
chatter .
Also it depends on whether the cutting edge is in front of the clapper
pivot point or behind .
The Armstong universal tool holder can be set either way.
It takes some experimenting to see which give better results .
Haven't got to the slotting tools yet.
The shaper is still in bits and it will be a while before it's actually
running , Im being proactive and looking for bits so when it is ready to
run I have the stuff at the ready.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

I had problems with chatter on the 7" AAMCO, so I took the advice in a
Brit shaper text and built one that put the tool bit behind the
clapper pivot plane. It had come with Armstrong-style tool holders,
just lathe lantern-style ones. No more problems after I made that,
just a nice "shoop-shoop" when cutting. Williams used to have a tool
shaper holder cataloged that would let the user put the bit at any
angle. I kind of copied that when I couldn't find the real deal on
the shelf for less than $200. Just used a rectangular section of hot-
rolled strip for the shank that the tool post held and made up a
sleeve that got welded on the end. Back end of the sleeve was behind
the clapper pivot. I took a fine thread 5/8" bolt, turned the head
round and drilled and filed a square hole in it next to the head to
fit a 1/4" bit. A nut and washer made up the rest. Filing the hole
took the longest time on the project, finished it all in an afternoon.

And a shaper without a vise is kind of like a car without tires, very
limited. Hope the shaper was bought cheap. I suppose a guy could make
one up from a regular mill vise with some sort of adapter plate and
shank for the pivot, probably wouldn't be as rigid as the real deal.

Stan

The shaper came very cheap ,I had it given to me $0 cost .
I will find a vice eventually they are around , it's just finding one .
There is one on AU Ebay right now for a very low price ,but
unfortunately is badly butchered ,has been used for a drill vice and has
some very bad over run holes and may not beworth the freight cost just
to find out its not worth repair.It's listed as a big mill vice.
Part of the problem is most people don't know the difference between a
normal machine vice and the shaper vice.

The same type of vice that the Elliot or Invicta shaper came with 9"
long jaws and 10" opening would be prerfect for the 18" Alba.
Alba is the ancestor to the Invicta and the later Elliot.The vices would
not have changed much between the models at all.

A vice is not always needed on a shaper in fact using stops and side
bearing clamps a lot of work can be done by just clamping to the table
or using an angle plate.
A vice is very handy just the same.

Gunner of this forum says he has one , I sent him an e-mail but he
hasn't got back to me as yet .
Considering thier rareity here it may be worth the cost of shipping to
get one from the US.
Some new ones are avilable from India but I'm not sure of the quality.

On Practical Machinist forum there is a post regarding making the
Armstrong/Williams universal tool holder of which you speak
Also a member of the Aussie woodwork forums (metal working section) has
just completed one for his Swedish shaper.
I will build one when I get the shaper running .

Kevin...I dug out the vise..and its only a 6" Bridgeport. I evidently
sold the larger vise with one of the bigger shapers several years ago.

As for a badly drilled vise..as long as the jaws close..the acme thread
and nut is ok..they are easily fixed up. The holes really dont hurt
anything. Ugly yes..but they dont bother the operation much. And the
jaws are a very good first project for your shaper. Make several sets
of new jaws.

Thats one of the charms of shaper ownership..you can make a ****load of
your own Stuff on it.

Gunner, with only one shaper at the moment...a Logan 8"

Gunner Asch

Gunner ,

Thanks for looking ,appreciate the effort.
The vice on Ebay Oz is a real junker , even the screw has been drilled
almost right through right next to the jaw .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Big-Milli...em4aa66 d8fa0

Gack!!!!!!!! That is a right nasty screw indeed! Ouch!

Another appeared on Ebay Oz tonight .
It's a rack type and looks to be in good condition ,but has a corner
broken off the mounting plate it looks to have 14 or 15 jaws ,any way I
have made some enquiries to getting it shipped if I win the bidding .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/massive-m...99752966285289

That is a Big vise. Perhaps too big for your machine.

Big problem is Australians are lazy , they want to sell the items but
wont put any effort into helping the buyer get his goods , especially
large items.Even being offered extra to arrange the transport sometimes
still gets a big fat NO.
It's easier to make it pick up only .
It's around 3,500klms to Sydney from where I live at aguess ,probably
more.

Nothing available from the Orient? Perhaps a chinese or jap vise may be
simply cheaper in the long run?

We have a member, Jon Anderson, who is married to a lady in Oz and will
be moving there before long. Perhaps he could find you a vise in the US
and include it in his cargo container?

Jon?

On the other hand...while you now have an 18" shaper...what will the
normal size items you will cutting actually be in size? Perhaps a 6"
vise will do it for 95% of your work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Sharpe...-/280789017658
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kearney-Trec...-/280776560004
(examples only)

Or a bit closer to home...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milling-M...-/270761454957

Etc etc

Btw...while a shaper vise is a bit lower in profile than a milling
vise..shrug..both will work nicely on a shaper.
Bigger work can indeed be bolted/clamped to the table if need be

The problem with clamping small work in a big vise..is that getting the
vise to actually hold squarely is harder and harder with the bigger the
vise, particularly if it has any wear on it at all.

I often use a small 3" machinist vise clamped in my bigger vises, when
doing small parts.

Gunner

Gunner Asch