Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:57:52 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:04:26 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

I took one of Marcel's alternator models, ran it through a 2:1
stepdown transformer, and rectified that. On the sensible parts of the
frequency curve, the resulting DC current increases, about doubling
the no-transformer current towards the high end. Impedance matching
works!

Is it for sure the impedance matching capability of the transformer that
produces the benefit, or the trade-off of current vs voltage? I ask this
because I don't see any way to be sure of any of the impedances, so how can
we know if the transformer is matching it?

Larkin still hasn't run the simulation. And what is this "_one_ of
Marcel's alternator models"?

...Jim Thompson

I have run it, assuming 6 ohms and 50 mH in the source. I proved that
transformers can match impedances.

It wasn't worth doing, since everybody already knows that transformers
can match inpedances. I was actually trying something else to boost
the current (namely adding an inductor after the rectifier) which only
helped 10 or 20%, not enough to publish. Some of the waveforms were
amazing. Once I had that model, it was easy to stick in a transformer,
so I did. It worked the way transformers are supposed to work.

John