Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default looking for source of cheap square drive screws

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
On 1/19/12 8:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2012 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:40:11 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet

Basically I can have to wiggle the driver and bit back and forth to
work
it loose from the screw. This is a reap PIA when removing several
screws and they will not come loose from the driver bit.

The reason I asked if you were using an impact drill/driver is that
I've heard of some brands of Robertson screws misshapen slightly when
the impact driver is working. It causes the screw to grab tighter to
the bit.

Thinking more about this, I wonder if the heat generated when driving or
removing the screw causes the bit to grab the bit more tightly. That
would certainly explain why this is not a constant problem.

Are you using summer screws or winter screws? :-)

Yeah... that could be it as the type of "coat" they wear could be a
factor.... the light grey hot dipped ones seems to be sticker than the newer
dark ones... ;~)

John