Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:39:39 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:48:13 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:46:14 -0500, Jamie
jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1lpa_@charter. net wrote:

[snip]

And let us not forget that these non-pm alternators have not used
brushes for the field for years now. Nothing but bearings and the
unexpected mishap to take place now.

[snip]

Huh? How does that work?

...Jim Thompson

They have not been using brushes in alternators in cars for a long time
now. They may still use them in very large units however.

Since you never believe me on anything, maybe you can believe others.

He

http://www.pearen.ca/dunlite/BrushlessAlternators.pdf

Jamie

OK. I've not seen that in a passenger car. My Q45 has slip-rings.

...Jim Thompson

Talking about slip rings. We still operate many large AC motors (Eddy
current clutches) via slip rings.. They actually work much better for
constant tension control over today's preferred vector systems.

But, they are getting old like the rest of us and soon to see their
demise.

Jamie

As one with 50 years dealing with the car companies, they haggle over
pennies. So I suspect exciter-based alternators are still rare. I'll
ask my Infiniti mechanic if the new ones do/don't have slip rings (my
Q45 is a 2005, but only 52,000 miles on it :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |