John Stumbles

Default Replacing a boiler

"David Hearn" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message
"David Hearn" wrote in message

I'm just thinking about the cost etc of
replacing our old wall hung Baxi
boiler.

What are the pros/cons of condensing boilers?

In your case saving 30% plus in gas bills.

Smelly flue gasses and mist,

The fumes don't smell. The mist can be a problem. If not then fine.

Hmm, our old neighbours one smelled distinctively of gas (well, faintly of
gas, but enough to notice), and when I read about it on here
(http://www.bryantplumbingandheating.com/condensers.htm) I just guessed it

Excellent website, in general, but I wonder about that remark of his about
condensing boilers smelling: I understood they typically have much lower
emissions than conventional types. I've certainly noticed smells from
conventional boilers' flues.

To be honest, I don't like the ideas of
newer boilers (fanned flues etc) as
all I seem to hear is "My PCB's blown again
for the 3rd time, and at £150 to
replace its expensive" or "The fan's gone".
Please convince me that new
boilers don't stop working after a few years, and have expensive
maintenance.

I guess I like the idea of something that's easy to diagnose myself when
things go wrong, and I won't be fleeced by a Corgi taking a deep breath in
and picking a large number out the air for fixing. With new boilers, lots
of things I guess are computer controlled with more wizardry under the

hood.
But as you say, a new boiler is going to have this regardless.

However modern boiler manuals tend to have fairly comprehensive
fault-finding guides.
Some are even accurate :-)

And you can get (some boilers') manuals from their manufacturers' websites.

--
John Stumbles