Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:41:26 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

Naturally.

John

Naturally you will now show us your stupendous solution ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Sure, why not?

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Hub_Alt_1.JPG

As usual, a topology, no component values whatsoever. Soo short of a
design. Why did you waste everyone's time with a wishful thinking
approach? Or are too innumerate to supply numbers / component values?

I hope this enlightens you on why some here devalue some of your
"contributions".

?-(

The step-down transformer gives the roughly 2:1 power/current boost.
The SSR (could be a pfet) is controlled to charge the battery to its
happy voltage. The control circuit is powered from the generator, not
from the battery. We only need to sense the battery voltage, which
takes microamps, not a discharge issue.

This is simple and very rugged. It can be switched off for minimum
drag and the light can - special feature! - be turned on and off!

The control block is simple: regulator, UVLO, comparator to drive the
SSR. Transzorb for luck, like the way garlic keeps vampires away.

Of course there are no values yet. One has to agree on function and
architecture first.

Let the discussion (or the whining, if that's what you're good at)
begin.

John