Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:48:57 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Perhaps Larkin will grace us with an actual working solution? Why
don't you lurkers DEMAND he put up or shut up? But you won't. Sad.

Look I just don't want to inflame the argument by asking for anything, but
since he wants to settle the argument at the functional level first before
getting into the details (which might be because he's used to being part of
a design team while you're solo) then it would be nice if we could just
proceed that way and get to the next step. I don't think you addressed his
diagram at that level. I'm curious about the fact that it looks like a
linear regulator (no inductor). And I wonder if the transformer does any
good. All these things could be discussed matter-of-factly without a single
slur and it would get somewhere.

I tried a New Year's token of peace and was rebuffed.

A block diagram _always_ "works" ;-) (But Larkin thinks only his
do... and my behavioral representations are just cartoons. Never mind
that my "blocks" actually do something rather than just lying there
pretending to be God's solution to all difficulties :-)

And I do design by block that way... most of the time, in fact.

This last chip design I did in NY was almost an extreme... I did the
WHOLE architecture in behavioral... Functionally working to
specification, then gradually replaced each behavioral block with a
device-level cell. I found it rather nice to work it out that way.

I don't think Larkin has a clue about behavioral modeling and
analysis. I find it useful because it's screamingly fast.

If anyone is interested, I've devised ways to interface behavioral to
analog or digital, specify levels, delays, rise and fall, etc., both
directions, as _little_ symbols that don't get in my way on the
schematic.

Next week is back on a new chip design. This week I'm cleaning up the
random clutter on my website. I'll announce when the re-index is
done, and where you can get these interfaces, if you want.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |