Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Nico Coesel Nico Coesel is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

John Larkin wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:25:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Here you go...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Bi...ubSwitcher.pdf

I figure, if you had a mind to, you could add regulation by running
this dude in burst mode, by stopping the 555 via its RESETbar input.

I'd ask one of the local "pansies in spandex" to make experiments with
their hub dynamos, but I'm their enemy for suggesting publicly that
they should be required to be licensed, and be fined when they go
riding three-abreast down the middle of a thoroughfare, rather than
single-file in the bicycle lane :-)

Good grief, this is just a fixed-duty-cycle nonregulating buck
switcher. I suggested this architecture days ago.

The 555 drains the battery all the time. If it doesn't, it won't start
up. And there's probably ways to blow out the gate of the p-fet, which
would take out the n-fet as a bonus. Amateur stuff.

I agree. It looks overcomplicated. Besides that, over here bicycles
have AC dynamos.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)