Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan[_7_] Jordan[_7_] is offline

Default shaper tool holders

On 1/17/2012 7:17 PM, Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

Zero rake lathe tool holders are not common here and very difficult to
find. I guess most of them got tossed out along with the shapers when
mills started to take over.

Would it not be OK to just grind the toolbit, taking into account the
built in angle of a typical lathe tool holder, so the end result is the
same as with a zero rake type?

As an aside, but slightly related (because it has zero rake): I was
having trouble making a slot, until I tried a lathe's parting tool
holder, which also had a gooseneck feature. It changed from making the
shaping job a nasty ripply finish, to cutting smoothly as silk.

Shaper tyro.