Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default shaper tool holders

On 1/17/2012 5:48 AM, Bob wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:58:29 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

Just acquired an Alba4S shaper 18" stroke .
I'm looking for armstrong type tool holders ,preferably the T series
with no back rake .

Planer toolholders and zero-rake lathe toolholders work fine in
shapers. So does an HSS tool bit to fit the toolpost!

Regards,
Bob

I'm no stranger to the operation of shapers and planers , used a few
over the years as a tool & die maker.

The planer tool holders I've found ( on Ebay ) are way to big to fit the
tool post slot .

Tool post slot is .050" under 3/4" and I'm not sure if its agood idea to
open the slot, might weaken the latern , I could make a new latern a
with a 3/4" slot I guess.
I have some 3/4" sq HSS bits , I guess I could send them out and get
them surface ground to fit.

Zero rake lathe tool holders are not common here and very difficult to
find. I guess most of them got tossed out along with the shapers when
mills started to take over.

--
Kevin (Bluey)