Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery charge via towbar 12S connector

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:45:11 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I recall when I was young and penniless bump starting my Mini

every
morning there was a frost. I was hoping it would last until

spring,
and then I'd be all right all summer.

Then we had some snow. You can't bump start on snow

Makes it harder, but not impossible I would have through higher gear
and don't drop the clutch?

You can start the original 850 Mini by jacking up one front wheel,
plonking it in top gear and 'spinning' the wheel by hand.

Neat trick. Was going to say what wrong with the starting handle but
then remembered the transverse engine. B-)

I guess that would still work for petrol engines today but possibly
not on a diesel.

--
Cheers
Dave.