Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:12:29 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:30:24 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:04:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John Larkin" wrote in
message
om...
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:15:02 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in
message ...
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:43:18 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote
in message ...
Here you go...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Bi...ubSwitcher.pdf

I figure, if you had a mind to, you could add regulation by
running
this dude in burst mode, by stopping the 555 via its RESETbar
input.

Diode D7 prevents some really weird behavior from back conduction.
If
there were a need to tighten up the efficiency, I'd replace it
with
another P-channel, body in the opposite direction from MP1 (for
lack
of finding a suitable transistor, modeled as a 0.3 Ohm device
extrapolated from my vast CMOS device library :-). Then I'd use a
comparator to make the drop like a near ideal diode as in...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Pe...rIsolation.pdf

Component values included!

Cheers

I always do that. I had that info the very first day, as I alluded
in
an early post (I verbally provided the results, same as the sims now
posted... which got me "naa, naa, naa poo poo"), so I just let
Larkin
run off at the mouth, just for the sport of it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You might impress a few simple people, but it certainly won't do what
set
out to achieve.

JF will love it, since it has a 555.

It may have been possible to achieve something aproximating to
regulation
by
externally pulling the 5k/5k/5k divider, but it would be a huge
comromise.

There's a schematic taking shape and tempting me to put pen to paper.

But I'm inclined not to do it all for the 2 principle knowitalls that in
reality don't know a fraction of what they'd like us to believe.

I don't think the problem has been clearly stated. What is this
circuit supposed to do, and what is the user interface? Jim's circuit
leaves the lights on all the time, runs the 555 all the time, and
loads the alternator whenever it can, and probably blows out the fets
now and then. That doesn't sound like what anybody would want on their
bicycle

I'm thinking maximise the minimalist.

How many switches do you want? What do they do?

As few as I can get away with.

As much as I can coax them into.

OK, be that way.

John